Tannenberg Castle Ruins, Seeheim-Jugenheim

Tannenberg Castle was built around 1232 by Ulrich v. Muenzenberg in order to secure his most southern official territory. Official documents first mentioned it in the year 1239 as "Seeheim Castle". It was destroyed in the summer of 1399. One of the oldest known handguns in the world, the bronze "Tannenberg hand rifle", was found during excavational work in 1849 and is now exhibited in the Germanic National Museum in Nuremberg.