Earl of Wiser´s Castle, Hirschberg

The Earl of Wiser`s Castle was built in 1710 by the most significant architect of that time, Johann Jakob Rischer.

The catholic church was built in the courtyard of the castle in 1737 and adjacent to it the Loreto Chapel, which originally housed the painting "The Black Madonna of Leutershausen" up until 1907 when the new catholic church was completed. The castle also has gardens surrounded by a high castle wall and adorned with sculptures. Today, the castle is still privately owned by the Earl of Wiser. The castle and the castle gardens are not open to the public. An exception is made once a year on Ascension Day (Virgin Mary) at the beginning of August when a candlelight pilgrimage procession is made through the castle gardens, ending in the courtyard in front of the chapel.