Former Synagogue

Following the settlement of the first Jews in Hemsbach in the 17th century, the Synagogue was handed over to its destination as prayer house, housing for teachers and school in the middle of the 19th century. The Mikvah, the ritual bathing house, also belongs to the synagogue. The two storey building provided room for 70 men in the lower part and 50 women in the gallery. Above the entry there is an inscription in Hebrew language and writing taken from the book of Kings. In the Progromnacht (Night of Broken Glass) from November 9th to 10th, 1938 the synagogue was devastated. After the 2nd World War it became private property and a mattress factory, later living quarters for guest workers and their families. Since 1981 the synagogue has been municipally owned and today it is a place of remembrance and commemoration, a place of meeting and is mainly used for cultural events.

Jewish Cemetery

The cemetery, laid out in 1674, served as an association cemetery (with over 1000 gravestones) for Jewish communities along the Bergstrasse and in the Rhine plain. The last funeral took place in 1940.

 

 

Rothschild Castle / Town Hall

The Rothschild Castle, which has been owned by the town of Hemsbach since 1925 and used as a town hall, was built on the site of the former stables. The villa (middle section) built by the Electoral Prince Hunting Council Blesen in 1764, was purchased in 1839 by Baron Rothschild and restored, together with the park, to its present appearance.

Knights House "Zehntscheuer"

The presumably oldest remaining estate is the Knight`s House of the former castle. Probably founded in the 12th century as a low / moated castle, safeguarded by a portcullis and drawbridge and extended in the 15th century with additional moats. First mentioned in 1264 as a place of negotiation and mediation, the castle later only served agricultural purposes. Today the Knight`s House is not quite correctly called "Zehntscheuer". In this building today, there is a Mexican bar and a beer garden.

Waldnerturm

also called "Vierritterturm" (Four Knights Tower) because of the four small sculptures of knights, was built in the middle of the 19th century by the owner of the Waldnerhof in accordance with the spirit of the age.

Kreuzberg

The Kreuzberg, also called "Zur Eich" in the vernacular is with 340 m NN the "local mountain" in Hemsbach, first receiving its name in the 14th century. The monks of Lorsch erected a chapel here which was destroyed several times and in need of renovation respectively. From the beginning of the 18th century the place of pilgrimage was looked after by a hermitage. After the departure of the last hermits the retreat was left open in 1808. The chapel and the retreat no longer exist, nevertheless, 14 cast iron pictures and an altar cross still make up the place of pilgrimage today, a place of meeting

St Laurentiu`s Church

The origins of the baroque church go back as far as the 11th century, it has existed in the present form since 1751. The oldest simultaneous church in Germany; it was used by both confessions up until 1937. The old rectory near the church is also worth seeing.

 

Town guides, guided tours and further information can be obtained at:

Tourist Information Tel.: 06201-70726